Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Drifting


Probably blogging has slowed like the housing market because (unlike the housing market), I am busy. But even as I write this my head starts to shake because busyness should never bury me.

Right now sickness is threatening to bury. I feel myself slipping underneath the mountain of aches and sniffles, and in the back of my mind lurks the temptation to call a sub...until I remember that it will be more work than to go to school. Ah but I am thankful for my work, even when I can barely make it there.

I hung snowflakes and snowmen in my classroom as soon as the students let out for Thanksgiving break. Kristina, if you read this, know that I pine for snow like you have on the mountain, snow to run in and build forts out of and get stuck in so that I can't make it to school. Ha.

I love baskets. Did I ever mention that? Not too long ago I went to Hobby Lobby and purchased some baskets. Now writing this I feel guilty. Why? Because I recently read an article about the "buy nothing new" outfit/campaign/way of life. And I know that somehow I supported an evil industry. We'll see if "buy nothing new" makes it onto this next year's list of things to do. I'm on the fence, still. But right now I do like the way these baskets sit on the shelves Mitch built, holding fruits and pasta and beans and potatoes.

Also, I can't believe I missed Miss van der Molen and Greg Leavitt's duet. There are few opportunities in life to catch something like that, and the Boyds are some of the few/proud/strong/brave to enjoy/listen to/hear/endure it.

6 musings:

Kristina said...

Of course I'm reading. :0) I'm sorry you've been sick. I've been sick, too. It's awful. I hope you're feeling better by now.

This is the first time in my entire life, that I've been consistently enjoying snow. It's wonderful. Yesterday I walked on a frozen lake for the first time. :0)

The International Chef of Mystery said...

Do consider it for a long time if you decide to take on the Buy Nothing New campaign. It was my New Year's Resolution, the only one I've ever truly kept. I'm in my eleventh month. And it is hard.

But it is also incredibly awesome to do. You learn much about your own resourcefulness and creativeness. I've run out of stationery, so pages from magazines come in handy. I wanted a new dress for my brother's wedding, so I learned to sew. I designed my own party invitations when we had our Lunar New Year's Party this year. I traded my red wool Paddington coat for a gift certificate to REI this summer. Going out and buying something is so much easier to do, but there is something fulfilling about doing a little extra work and creating something all your own.

And you realize, as you're sorting through the clothes at Goodwill and the Salvation Army, that some people have no choice but to buy their clothes there, and you feel a little solidarity with them. You make do.

You know that little voice inside you that asks you to give it all kinds of pretty things that every girl wants. Once she doesn't get everything she wants, her voice gets quieter and quieter. In my pocket, I have a list of things that I want for my birthday and Christmas, and it's different from the lists of previous years. This year I'm hoping for some shoe polish in my stocking.

And it is just so exciting when someone gives you a gift of something new, I can't even believe it. Roxanne bought me a hat on Sunday, and I was nearly out of my skin with joy when I saw it. I don't know if I would have appreciated it as much before, when I could have gone out and picked out any hat I wanted.

It has been one of the hardest challenges that I've voluntarily taken on, and it has been one of the most rewarding. I'm thinking of going another year, after one day of shopping on December 31. If you need someone to take the challenge with, I'll do it with you. My best friend joined me this year. It's nice to have someone to journey with.

Anyway, cheers! Get your rest. See you in Cedar Lake in a few weeks.

Jeff said...

Buy Nothing Day is a tough one. Buy Nothing Year, wow, that's taking it to a-whole-nother dimension. It's been good to watch TICOM's lifestyle this year.

I wrote about Buy Nothing Day (www.packlight.blogspot.com), and in a few weeks I hope to post an interview with TICOM and another friend about their year-long Buy Nothing attempts (www.adventist-environmental-advocacy.blogspot.com).

Doing that for the next year in your life could be positive or it could add extra stress. Starting a new home is generally a time when people buy a lot of new things (a time of excitement and debt). Let us know what you decide!

Nikki said...

hope you'll get this.. but anyway, email me! luvrgirl91@hotmail.com so i can give u my number then.

Peter said...

Happy Wedding Day to YOOOOOOOOOU!!!!!
Happy Wedding Day to YOUUUUUUU!!!!
HAPPY WEDDING DAY MI HERMANA!!!!
Happy Wedding Day to YOU!

:D Much LOVE to you, dear sister.
Sorry I couldn't make it from Cali, but I was with you in spirit!
Many blessed years (forever and ever) wished to you!

Jeff said...

Hey. I have two things to share via email--wedding photos and gift explanation. You can contact us at jjboyd_wow.